2/20/2006

Kiss An Engineer!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you already know this is National Engineers Week. How did engineers get their own week? It’s been going on since 1951 and is timed to coincide with George Washington’s birthday because the original George was a military engineer and surveyor.

The original intent of National Engineers Week was to ‘increase public awareness and appreciation of the engineering profession’. These days it has become more about encouraging children to become engineers. It’s becoming popular in the trade publications to complain about the lack of students interested in becoming engineers. And in a brilliant display of stupidity, it’s also popular to complain about the state of education of the new engineers that colleges are turning out these days. It’s a good thing most students don’t read the trade publications until after they’re an engineer.

As part of the festivities I’m declaring this ‘Kiss An Engineer’ week. So pick the engineer of your choice, and give them a big ole smooch. Though I will warn you, engineers aren’t noted for dealing with the opposite sex so random kissing could have entertaining results. I’d expect anything from new puppy like devotion (stalking is such an ugly word) to fainting right on the sidewalk. If you choose wisely, you may even get kissed back. As the founder I’ll be available for kissing all week, otherwise I’d just be a hypocrite. Guys, don't be shy. I personally prefer a handshake from all my non-female appreciaters, but the women engineers need appreciation too. Apparently lots.

Like I said, this has apparently been going on since 1951. I can’t say for sure, but I doubt many people have heard of National Engineers Week. I’d call that a public relations problem. So this week I’m doing my part to educate all my imaginary readers, and my one real reader, on the profession. So stay tuned for a hard hitting series of posts all week long. Just as soon as I get back from the gym and getting a hair cut.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

Hurray! Let me know if you need smooches and I will, as your mentor, be happy to provide them.

1:56 PM, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home