2/08/2006

Chivalry Ain’t Dead Yet…

…but sometimes I wish it was. Is it good manners to treat one person well to the detriment of another? Let me illustrate with a story…

I work in a high-rise (at least for Nashville) office building downtown. It has the usual double door airlock type arrangement for entering. You go through the first door, take a few steps, and go through another to enter the lobby. After lunch today I was following a guy inside. He went through the first door, opened the second, and then proceeded to practically knock me over in order to turn around and open the first door again for a woman who was behind us. Do good manners to her excuse bad ones to me? If I’d known what he was doing I would have just let him bounce off me (the joys of being tall) instead of tripping over myself to get out of his way.

I’m not sure if I’m sexist for asking that question, or he’s sexist for doing it that way. But the situation is one I observe fairly often. I’m constantly getting shoved into the side of the elevator so the guy at the door can let some woman in back get off, or some similar nonsense. So who has more respect for women? Me or that dufus?

7 Comments:

Blogger cafiend said...

You have not provided sufficient data on your own behavior toward women for a reader to answer the question you ask. However, you have described some men who have a serious need to show what nice guys they are. They might actually be nice, or they might simply be building an image. That image can be used for purposes both nefarious and lofty.

Bottom line: be alert around doorways.

7:06 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger cafiend said...

Oh, and turn on word verification for comments so you don't get splammed

7:06 AM, February 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool, but what about cooters? I love cooters.

7:28 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Plimco said...

Word verification is for pussys. I mean cooters. Yay, I love me some cooters too. What?

9:44 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Aunt B said...

You should have totally punched that dude.

Hurray for cooters!

And I still want an answer to my Heidegger question. Heidegger says that the shores themselves don't come into existence until the bridge is built. What do you say?

10:31 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger W said...

I'm contemplating the Heidegger question at the moment. I'll get back to you that.

Ok, I lied, I'm contemplating cooters right now. Heidegger will have to wait.

11:01 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger DMartin said...

I like cheese.

12:45 PM, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home