4/16/2008

Solidarity Sister

I feel a little closer to all the ladies of the world today. The reason ? The Mrs. and I took a weekend shopping trip to Target and persons of the opposite sex were constantly staring at my chest and talking to my chest. Girls of all ages including a 4 year old in pig tails and a group of octogenarians would see my chest and a friendly grin would appear on their faces. Even the occasional man took a peek.

Okay, so it wasn't quite the same as the typical female experience. My audience at Target was actually staring at the baby strapped to my chest. You hear a lot of hype about baby carriers, and that hype is totally true. We heard good things about the Baby Bjorn carriers before the terrible twosome came, but we weren't quite ready to spend $90 each for two of them. Fortunately The Mrs. went to a consignment sale in Franklin back in February and managed to find two of them on the cheap. At the time I was pretty ambivalent about it, but I've discovered how much the babies like them.

The first several times we used the carriers, the wonder twins faced inward toward the person wearing them. But Saturday we decided they had enough head control to be able to turn around and face the world. When they were inward facing they mostly just slept, but now that they're turned around they enjoy scoping things out. Luke likes to check out the ladies and give them his biggest smile and a wink. My son is quite the lady killer apparently. Unfortunately he'll probably grow out of it if genetics are any indicator. Leia just enjoyed the show. Every time something interesting came into view I would hear a little exclamation out of her and see those arms start waving. The breeze as we walked through the parking lot was a realy eye opener.

It was our first time taking them out in public together, and it was quite an eye opener. You could watch the smiles ripple out as we walked through the store. I'm positive that the effect was much greater just because we had twins. Most people just looked and smiled, there weren't as many people stopping to talk to us as I expected.

It was pretty weird on several levels. I'm not used to having so many women, young and old, smile at me. And whenever one of them came over to talk to us, they either looked at my chest or spoke to The Mrs. I was just the conveyance. But I did enjoy the chance to show off my kids.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That urge to look, wave, smile and talk, I swear I cannot suppress it. Glad you enjoyed showing off your brood.

9:38 PM, April 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home