10/19/2007

Road Observations

Regular readers know that The Mrs. and I are expecting two large life altering events in the December-January time frame. So we decided to get the freedom of being DINK (double income no kids) out of our system with one last vacation before things go pear shaped. For financial reasons we ended up in the Gatlinburg of South Carolina. Myrtle Beach.

Since a 9 hour road trip with an extremely pregnant woman isn't enough of a challenge, I decided to go the scenic route. That involved a tour of rural SC which added several hours to our trip. Along the way I gained a couple of pearls of wisdom I would like to share....

1.) Why is it that every small town whether it be in TN or SC has a Hardees? You see very few of them in Nashville. You also see a lot of Piggly Wiggly and Fred's. IGA used to be the big small town grocery store, but it seems to be on the decline.

2.) Lakewood, TN is like a small town tumor in the larger body of Metro Nashville. When you're inside its' limits you feel like you're in a small town. But you can only stay inside the Lakewood city limits for 2-3 minutes if you're in the car. We actually live just outside the Lakewood city limits, but I didn't come to this realization until I was pondering item 1. As further proof I offer the evidence that Lakewood Police don't have anything better to do than hassle speeders and write tickets for driving 55 in a 45 MPH at 3 AM.

3.) When you buy a new vehicle, you really should keep proof of purchase inside said vehicle until you get the registration and license plate. Police officer's don't like it when you don't do that. Seems fairly obvious in retrospect, but I really didn't think of it ahead of time.

4.) A very pregnant wife in the passenger seat can do a lot to help a police officer in a rural SC town forgive your ignorance. I'm not positive that's why we got off with a warning, but I'm pretty sure it was involved.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answer to #1 - It's the biscuits, man! :)
In my rural southern hometown, a bunch of the old widower guys would meet up at Hardee's for Sunday breakfast. It was kind of sweet.

9:44 AM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thought on Hardee's . . .
Hardee's is the same as Carl's Jr back in Cali and I'm now seeing Red Burrito attached to some Hardee's which reminds me of the Green Burritos attached to Carl's Jr. I'd forgotten GBs but now I'm going to have to check out the RB thing. See if it is any good.

12:47 PM, October 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home