8/18/2006

The Morning After

The National Conference of State Legislators has been in town this week and last night they had some sort of gala event on the Legislative Plaza in front of the War Memorial Building and the Capital. Streets were closed and yada, yada, yada.

This morning, I walked through the plaza on my way to work. It was nasty. Cigarette butts, water bottles, and assorted trash floating around all over the plaza. The nice marble flagstones were stained with food and grease, and smelly. I really like the plaza this time of year with the fountains and trees, and I was pretty disgusted with it when I walked through this morning.

Now, as Brittney likes to say, 'compare and contrast' with the big immigrant rally held at the Legislative Plaza back in the spring. I don’t know the exact attendance of either event, but I think it’s safe to say that the Legislators Conference had significantly lower attendance than the immigration rally.

The morning after the immigration rally on Legislative Plaza? Nothing. No trash, no stains, not even full bags in the trash cans stationed on the plaza.

Now granted there will probably be cleaning crews on the plaza today, but I still think it makes a big statement that given the same elapsed time all those people for the immigration rally made a much smaller mess than the State Legislators. And little or no taxpayer money had to be spent to clean up after the immigration rally.

Even more interesting (to me anyhow)…….. it was the same way after all the big horn honking rallies against the state income tax a few years ago. They didn’t want to pay more taxes, but they didn’t have any problem using state money to clean up after themselves on the plaza, and in all the bathrooms of the state buildings around the plaza.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since the illegal immigrants at the rally don't pay any taxes, all's fair.

12:41 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger W said...

I have to agree with Jon. You buy something in TN you pay taxes. I hate to do it though since, however small and petty, it's still an argument for a sales tax.

9:47 AM, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home